The first RAF Regiment Depot opened at Belton Park near Grantham with
instructional staff loaned from by the Army and the Royal Marines.
Sqn's quickly evolved into two distinct roles , The Field (Infantry)
Sqn's and Independent AA Flights. By the end of 1942 the RAF Regiment
not only relieved Army Garrisons from Airfields in the UK , but had seen
active service in Malaya, Singapore, the Dutch East Indies, Burma, and
A Second training depot was opened at Secunderabad in India. 5 Field
Sqn's and 5 AA flights disembarked during Operation "Torch" the Allied
invasion of Tunisia, and such was the dash and spirit of the fledgling
units that they were the first to enter Bizerta and Tunis itself.
RAF Catterick was the depot and home of the RAF Regiment from
1946 after it moved from Belton Park. However in 1994 it was handed over
the the Army and to The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire. RAF
Honington is now the RAF Regt's Depot
The Smith Gun
Entered Service with the RAF Regt in 1942 and was designed by Mr Smith
(Chief Engineer) of Trianco (The Toy Company). The Smooth
bore gun fired a cast iron exploding projectile or a 3 inch mortar bomb.
The Smith Gun was never fired in anger by The RAF Regt and was obsolete
Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance Tracked (CVRT)
In the early 80's units using CVRT 1 Sqn (Laarbruch Germany), 2 Sqn and
15 Sqn (Both Hullavington), 51 Sqn and 58 Sqn (Both Catterick) and 34
1 & 2 Scorpion (CVRT) Crew of 3, Commander, Gunner, Driver.
Armament 76mm Gun Main Gun, 7.62 mm Machine Gun.
3: Spartan (CVRT) Crew of 7 , Driver, Section Commander,
Vehicle Commander, 4 infantry men including signaller, Spartan was
fitted with a 7.62mm Cappola Machine Gun
2 Sqn RAF Regt Display
Battle Honours Egypt & Libya 1940-43, Iraq 1941, Syria 1941
El Alamein North Africa
2 Sqn are The RAF Regiment's Airborne Squadron Since 1962. The RAF Regt
had lost its Airborne capability in 1949 but in 1962 2 Sqn was chosen to
be The Regt's Airborne Sqn.
"When the Fighting starts the first thing we do is drop in our defences"
More Museum Pictures on Page
Click Go to page 2